I didn’t choose when & where I was born.
I didn’t choose my parents.
Or my siblings.
I didn’t even get to choose the color of my eyes.
And I can’t control the weather.
So yes, there are lots of things I cannot control.
However, so many people now exploit this concept so much that they’ve become specialists at the art of making excuses.
They have an excuse for everything, literally.
There’s always a reason why they’ve failed at something — and somehow it’s never their fault.
While I recognize that there are many things that are not within our control, I also do believe that we are the totality of our decisions and choices.
As Peter Drucker said, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
- I get to decide how I treat people.
- I decide who I spend my time with.
- I decide how I spend my time.
- I choose what books I read.
- I choose who I get married to.
- I decide how I react to people.
- I choose how I spend my energy.
- I decide whether to watch TV late into the night or go to bed early.
- I decide whether to eat healthy or not.
- I choose whether to exercise my body or not.
- I choose whether to work at a job I hate all my life.
- Or to go through the uncertainty of starting a business.
- I decide if I’m going to live a life of love and gratitude.
- Or live a life of bitterness & constant complaining.
- I decide what gets my attention. And when. And for how long.
These are all things that I get to choose.
And these are the factors that determine my future.
The number of things within my control is way higher than the number of things I cannot influence.
It’s all about the small decisions.
So, let go of excuses today.
And start living a life of full personal responsibility.
Focus on the things you can do.
And start doing them right away.
“To hell with circumstances, I create opportunities”…Bruce Lee