Long-term Business Strategy (1-1 Business Coaching)
(Note 1: True to the nature of what I offer below, reading through this sales letter in detail will take you 15-20 minutes. If that’s too long for you, then it’s already not a fit.
This is because I copy them & I don’t hide it. I’m proud to say it.
I don’t claim to be at their level; far from it. And I do have my own ideas; I don’t just copy and paste everything they say.
But I am a humble student of theirs, and my hope is to help people who do good work build a business they truly love.)
Building a successful business is a long-term game.
Everything I do in my work with clients; is in honor of this long-term mentality and slow marketing approach.
Several times, clients reach out to me & say they need help to get more clients for their business.
Specifically, they mention that they’d like some help with their marketing & visibility.
As I start asking them deeper questions to understand what’s actually going on in their work; I discover that the main issue they have is one of creating a better business model; rather than looking for new marketing tactics.
To understand the proof of this, just do a quick Google search for “how to get clients”; and you’ll find more than a billion results.
If all that information is available for free, why then are people still struggling with their marketing?
Why can’t you just take the ideas on that Google search & get all the clients you need?
Well, because that’s not where the real issue lies.
The biggest problem businesses face today is the insatiable craving for speed.
Put in another way, it’s the lack of patience. No respect for time.
That’s the biggest problem people have.
As a result of the fast-paced nature of the world we live in, everybody wants everything to happen NOW.
We’ve all forgotten how to wait.
Just think about it for a moment.
- You can order an Uber ride & have them arrive in 5 minutes.
- You can order Pizza & have it delivered right at your door in no time.
- There’s fast food restaurants everywhere with almost no wait-time.
- Amazon now does same-day delivery.
- Think of any movie & you’ll likely find it on Netflix in less than 2 minutes.
If all these things can happen in the twinkle of an eye, then why can’t I just create an ad & find all the clients I need the next day?
And so, over & over again; I see clients setting themselves up for disappointment in their business because of this quick-fix mindset & microwave mentality.
The immediate & obvious result of this approach is that you start doubting everyone & everything (including yourself):
- Maybe this business is not for me.
- Perhaps I’m not as talented as others.
- It’s probably not my luck; it’s never going to work for me.
- My current business coach is not good enough; I need to find a new one.
The bigger impact, though, is even worse:
- The people you could have helped remain stuck.
- You earn less & less money; or it goes up & down from month to month
- You’re always being stressed about where the next client will come from.
- You keep starting new things but never finishing any of them.
- You’re unhappy in your business; but can’t really quit because you’ve already given so much.
There’s no happy end to the story; it’s just sad.
- What if you could create your own story & start over?
- What if you could focus on laying strong foundations that can sustain everything else you want to do in your business?
- What if you focused on building for the long-term; rather than looking for just the next client?
- How would it feel for you if you didn’t have to stress about where your next lead or client is going to come from?
- Would you feel more ease & calm?
- Would your business be more enjoyable?
I think so.
The Map – How to get there.
To arrive at this alternative place of deep calm & enjoyable productivity in your work, here’s a map I’ve created for you to consider.
To be clear, I’m not saying that this is the only way or the best way to arrive at your goals.
I’m only offering it as my own point of view based on my experience with clients; something for you to consider.
In my view, there are 3 core elements that make up this map:
- Business Model
- Content Plan
- Sales & Marketing Plan
What you see in this map, even though it looks so simple, is a web of activities that combine so effectively to create the kind business you dream of.
If you figure out a profitable business model and create related content to help your ideal audience, then long-term, you’ll only need to do a little marketing in order to get clients.
Here’s a brief review of each of these pillars.
1). Business Model
- Do you have a clear niche?
- Can you describe what you do & someone immediately goes, “That’s exactly for me?”
- What are you known for?
- What specific problem or problems do you help people solve?
- Even though you could potentially help everyone with your work; who are the kind of people that seem to benefit the most from what you do?
- What are your modalities?
- Do you have some tools you really love to use?
- Why did you choose those modalities & how are they different from anyone else’s?
- Even if the modalities are the same as what others use, what’s your own point of view?
- What are your services?
- Do you have any products?
- How are you packaging your offerings in a way that makes sense to your ideal client?
Maybe you have the answers to some of these questions. Or maybe you don’t.
But do you see how having a clearly-defined business model is crucial for you?
If you don’t have clear & specific answers to these questions, do you then see how marketing is NOT the problem?
Getting your business model dialed in will form the foundation & lead to the success (or failure) of almost everything else you do in your business.
2). Content Plan
- What kind of topics/things can you create as content?
- What are the best formats & platforms for your kind of business?
- How do you deal with the overwhelm of trying to be everywhere? (YouTube, Facebook, Podcasts, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- How do you promote your content to ensure that it’s actually being seen by enough of the right people?
- How can you take your content & have it create income for you via product sales or clients hiring you for your services?
- How relevant is your content to your audience?
- How regularly are you creating content & how often should you be doing it?
Having a clear content plan is a very critical component of your business success.
But beyond just having the plan, it’s more important that you actually execute that plan.
And then, be sure to perform regular audits to observe what’s working or not; and then improve based on that.
3). Sales & Marketing Plan
This is the one everybody likes, lol.
I can’t count how many times people ask me questions about the best marketing tactics & the most recent technique to get clients.
- Should I do Facebook ads or Google ads?
- Someone told me yesterday that Instagram ads are more effective for sales; eh?
- What about Pinterest; could it be perfect for my kind of business?
- Maybe I should get on LinkedIn too? Some of my clients are professionals.
- Should I create a free Facebook group & then sell them on my stuff?
- Or should I just focus on Podcasts?
- I’ve heard so much about collaborations & joint ventures; should I consider it?
The list is endless; it goes on and on.
Here’s the thing — they all work.
You don’t have to do all of them.
And you don’t have to jump from 1 tactic to the other always looking for the best option.
What you need to do is create a marketing plan that suits YOU as a person.
If you absolutely hate social media, then why are you forcing yourself to be on Facebook? You can get all the clients you need without ever being on social media.
If you have anxiety being on stage, why are you trying to get a public speaking engagement simply because you heard it can be effective for marketing?
See what I mean?
Creating a marketing plan that suits who you are as a person is very important; as that’s the only way you’ll actually enjoy doing it.
If you compel yourself to do things that drain you & sap all your energy; then you’re setting yourself up for a hard time.
Okay; so let’s recap all three pillars of a successful business:
- Figure out your business model & make it profitable
- Create a reliable content plan that you can follow
- Create an effective marketing plan that energizes you; not one that drains you.
The question, then, is how do you do this?
There are multiple options; and I’m sure you can find them all over the internet with some kind of Google search.
However, the reason I’ve written this letter is to give you the opportunity to explore my style if you feel called to what you’re reading.
And so here’s my invitation.
If this concept of building your business for the long-term appeals to you, and you’d like real support from me to achieve it; then I invite you to consider my 12-month program.
It is a 1-on-1 business & marketing coaching program where I walk you through the steps to actually do everything we’ve described above.
During our time together, we’ll work through each of these core elements of a sustainable business (Business Model, Content Plan, and Marketing Plan).
For your business model: We’ll test & create several offers, build out your products, and create wonderful packages for each of your services as described above.
We’ll also ensure that your pricing structure is built in a way that’s sustainable for you & your family; while staying accessible to the kind of clients you’d like to work with.
Content Plan: For your content, we’ll work together to figure out which approach is best for you at this point in time.
You don’t have to do any one option in particular; you’ll make a choice that fuels you to actually get it done.
Is it YouTube videos or Facebook articles?
Should you just write website blog posts or start a podcast?
I don’t know.
There’s no one answer that fits everyone; we’ll figure it out together and discover what that is for you.
And if you’re already doing well with your content creation, then we’ll work hard on your content distribution, optimization, and productization.
Sales & Marketing: Finally, I’ll help you create a sales and marketing plan that is just right for you.
Together, we’ll work to choose the marketing approach that suits your style & personality; while still being effective to generate the kind of results you’re looking for.
Who is this invitation for?
This program is hardcore & long-term; and so it’s not for everyone.
You want to be sure it’s a fit for you before you apply to work with me in this way.
It is 12 months in full.
It is not a month-to-month arrangement where you pay as you go & cancel whenever you like.
There is no refund for midway cancellation.
You either want to do it or you don’t; there’s no middle ground.
The long-term business strategy coaching is for you if:
- You have a specific business that you want to grow
- You’re willing to be patient & are not expecting “3 new clients by next month”.
- You experience feast & famine periods in your business. I.e. Some months you sign 3 new clients; and life is good. Other times, you go for 5 months straight without any new client. You’ve figured that you now want to make your income steady, predictable, and consistent.
- You want to build a business that suits your style rather than feeling like you have to change who you are or do stuff you don’t enjoy in order to succeed.
- You want to eventually reach & maintain a full-time income via your business
- You can dedicate up to 5 hours per week to work on your business; not just in it. Working in your business is when you serve clients & do regular maintenance tasks like emails, bookkeeping, etc. Working on your business is when you take actions to make it better by creating things that were not there.
- You believe in your work & you feel it’s a calling you should pursue; but you can’t seem to make it work.
- You know what the basics of business & marketing are, yet have a hard time making a practice of them and putting them to action.
- You love the concept of building strong foundations for your business that can help you win in the long-term.
- You can afford this. You’re not taking a loan or going into credit card debt to work with me.
- You see room for growth in your business that could justify the expense of this program. This program is asking for a commitment of your time and money. I would feel terrible if I realized that this program was asking you to pay an amount your business would never allow you to recoup.
- You are someone whose work and manner of moving in the world I admire. I want to be inspired by the people I’m working with. I need to be able to really believe in who you are and what you’re about. This will be an important filter for me. If I don’t believe that your work is adding real value to people’s lives, I won’t be able to help you much. (I copied this almost word-for-word from Tad; but I agree with him and this is exactly how I want to feel about my clients. Thank you Tad.)
The program is likely not a fit for you if:
- You don’t like my style & my presence. I am a black guy; an African American. If you’re not open to working with a black because nothing good comes from black people, then this is the best time to stop reading.
- You’re really happy with where your business is right now; and you don’t see how anything about your work can be improved. If that’s true, stop reading. You don’t need this offer.
- You keep changing your mind on what your business is. If you’re always wanting to start new projects & are not sure you can focus on this business for at least the next three years, then this is not for you.
- You need to be pushed in order to do the work. I am not your accountability partner. I can help you find one if you need that. But it is vitally important that you’re someone who is willing to take action. I will show you what actions to take. And I do my best to support you through the process. But only you can do the actions for yourself. You must be motivated.
- You need instant results. If you want to know for sure that you’ll start getting clients from next month, then this is not for you because I don’t promise that. If you have a group program that you need to fill next month, you’d need to look elsewhere.
- You can’t accept help. I love it when you have a clear idea of what you need help with in your business & marketing. However, if you’re someone who also wants to control the how of what’s done; then maybe this is not for you.
- You need someone available on weekends. You’ll hear from me Monday to Friday. If you want a marketing coach who’s also available on Saturdays and Sundays, I’m not the one you’re looking for.
What you get.
1). 3 private calls per month for deep dive into each of these pillars (Business Model, Content Plan, and Marketing Plan)
2). Access to my entire course library (all my courses, templates etc.)
3). Video recording of answers to your questions
4). Access to all my group calls (Workshops, Q&A Sessions, etc.)
5). Access to all my samples and references (ad copies, landing pages, etc.)
6). Customized Training for your specific situation
7). Unlimited email coaching
8). Access to all my e-books
9). Access to my client-only private Facebook group (you get to meet other self-employed professionals on the same journey)
10). Feedback & suggestions on how to improve your website & other online assets
A very important bonus
I’m happy to help you train an assistant or VA to keep supporting you even after our work is done.
You don’t have to pay any extra for this.
They can help you continue with the implementation of the concepts you’ve learned from me.
This will ensure that you sustain the traction you’ve gained & keep building on the momentum.
$6,000 for the entire 12 months.
This comes to $500 per month. However, you don’t pay monthly.
Typically, clients pay once.
However, we can work out a payment plan where you’re allowed to pay twice; but that’s the exception rather than the norm.
1). A common question I get is why don’t I charge more considering everything that’s included in the program?
Answer: The main reason is that I want this to be accessible to the kind of people I want to help.
I want it to be a very good deal; a no-brainer for you. I want you to feel good about the quality of what you get; and feel like your money was well-spent for the return on investment.
Besides, I also want you to think I’m cool so you can talk about me with a huge smile on your face 🙂
2). 12 months is a long time. Why do you insist on a 12-month commitment?
Answer: Because this offer is designed to help you build long-term foundations for your business.
We cannot do all of this work listed above in 12 weeks.
3). I just met you; this feels like a jump. Don’t you have other offers I can explore to see if we’re a fit before making this big decision to work together for 12 months?
Answer: I agree with you; you should not work with me in this way until you know for sure that I’m the person you’re looking for.
To help you make that decision of if we’re a fit or not, there are other ways to check out my work which I believe are less risky for you.
Take a look at my services page & you’ll find smaller offers to test with.
Also, you can email me with any questions you have & I’ll do my best to answer them.
4). Why can’t I pay month to month?
Answer: The long-term nature of the program is such that it requires a full commitment right from the beginning.
It’s either you’re in it or you’re not; there is no middle ground.
Paying month-to-month would be a middle ground. It puts pressure on you & on me; always having to decide whether to renew or not.
I want money to be dealt with right from the start; so that we can get it out of the way and focus all our energy on the work.
I do my best work when I’m not thinking about money.
5). Can I cancel midway? Will I get a refund if I no longer want to keep going?
Answer: I do my best to ensure that this is an absolute fit for you before we get started.
As a matter of fact, I intentionally make you wait for 2-4 weeks before you commit to this program.
That waiting time is the best time for you to meditate on it, speak with your partner, & check your bank account to be sure you’re ready for this.
It’s also the time for you to check your life & see if you actually have the time required to do the work.
This is because I don’t allow people to cancel midway simply because they “no longer feel like continuing”.
The reason for this is that so many people have shiny-object syndrome. You work with a certain coach for 2 months; and then you hear about another new coach who is so amazing; and you want to jump ship to the next one.
I don’t allow this. And I won’t issue a refund for this lack of focus.
However, I know that in life, there are certain occurrences we cannot foresee.
Therefore, if a real-life situation arises which makes it completely impossible for you to work, then I could make an exception. I’ll need to know the details of what this life event is & then make the decision at my discretion.
Otherwise, just go in with the mindset that you’re actually coming to build your business for the long-term & that we’re in it together for the next 12 months.
6). What’s the time commitment you need from me?
Answer: In addition to our 3 calls per month, you will need up to 5 hours per week to really do the homework & dig into everything we’ll be doing. Think of it as an hour a day; Monday to Friday. You can take the weekend off, I do that too!
7). Apart from your stated fees, will I be spending anything else?
Answer: No, at least not to me. There might be fees associated with services you need for the regular running of your business; such as email software, website hosting, advertising, etc.
But none of that has anything to do with me & you’re likely already spending that anyway; whether you work with me or not.
8). What if I only need some parts of what you offer & not the whole thing? Is there a way I can work with you on a smaller package to tackle a specific aspect of my business?
Answer: Yes, that’s possible.
The first thing I’d invite you to do is visit my services page again. You’ll likely find something lighter that could work for you.
But if you don’t, simply send me an email with details of what exactly you want & I’ll let you know if we can create something unique for you or not.
9). This all sounds good and I think I’m ready to do it. But I have a few more questions before I can decide.
Answer: Feel free to send me an email ([email protected]). I’ll do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Next steps – if a fit.
If you’ve read this far into the letter and it still feels like a fit, and you’re convinced you’d like to explore working with me in this way; then I invite you to go ahead and fill out this application form.
I will go through your application & get back to you — typically within 2 days.
If I feel like what you’ve written aligns with what I have to offer, I will invite you to schedule a 60-minute call & I will do a final vetting before I welcome you to work with me.
But if after reading your application, I feel like I’m not the best person to support you; or that this is not the service you need — then I’ll either refer you to someone else who I think is better suited for you…or I’ll find one of my offerings which might be a better fit for you.
Whether we work together or not; I sincerely hope you consider building strong foundations for your business to ensure that it is profitable in the long-term.
It will greatly reduce the stress and pressure you feel around money, business, and marketing.
It will also set you on the right path to creating the kind of income that puts a smile on your face; while simultaneously helping your clients and making their lives better.
I welcome you to explore my website.
You will find several resources that can help you get started on this journey of sustainability.
You’ll also find lots of blog posts & videos to help you get a sense of how I think — and hopefully find ideas you can immediately start implementing in your own work.
Wishing you all the best.